Schlossplatz

Power in the GDR (German Democratic Republic) was concentrated in the area around Schlossplatz (named Marx-Engels-Platz from 1951 to 1994). The Central Committee of the communist state party SED (Socialist Unity Party), which was the actual center of operations, was based at Werderscher Markt 1. The adjacent building was occupied by the State Council. By the side of the River Spree in the Palace of the Republic, the People’s Chamber – a feigned parliament with no actual powers – held its sessions since 1976.

more